Re: [exim] batv expiry time

Autor: Christopher Meadors
A: Exim Users List
Assumpte: Re: [exim] batv expiry time
On Mon, 2007-07-30 at 15:14 +0100, Mike Cardwell wrote:

> Another issue that I forgot to bring up. If you do batv verification in
> the rcpt acl, you're going to end up preventing other systems from doing
> callouts in certain circumstances. I agree these will be rare, but would
> it be better to do the following:
>
> 1.) In the rcpt acl defer each recipient after the first if the sender
> is null.
> 2.) Do the batv validation in the pre-data acl using "$recipients"
> instead of "$local_part@$domain"
>
> That way you don't risk fudging peoples callouts? I can't see any cons
> to this...

1. is exactly what I ended up doing for exactly the same reason.
Watching my logs for a bit after showed only junk (and DNS Report's mail
server tests) triggering the more than one RCPT after a MAIL FROM:<>.

2. I also delayed my BATV rejection until after the RCPT ACL. I
actually ended up waiting until the DATA ACL, but pre-DATA would also be
fine. I was just worried about tripping up any MTA by giving a 500 to
the DATA command, but really the multiple RCPT in a DSN mail just
doesn't happen with good mail, so trip away.