Re: [exim] 30,000+ email accounts

Autor: ben.tanner
A: Exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] 30,000+ email accounts
exim-users-bounces@??? wrote:

> It appears since there are so many accounts it takes the server a long
> time to parse the directory entries to get to the correct account when
> someone is (a) receiving email or (b) reading their email. This equals
> more load on the server and over time I'm sure we're going to reach a
> load limit and lose email. We'd like to implement a solution where the
> accounts are split across multiple machines, but how to split (a) the
> incoming email to it's correct backend email server and (b) the
> pop3/webmail requests to the correct backend servers. I know I can do
> (b) webmail by using a reverse proxy, but that still wouldn't handle
> pop3 or the delivery to the correct server (part a).

Have you considered using something like Cyrus imapd
(http://cyrusimap.web.cmu.edu/) with their Murder IMAP/proxy aggregator
(http://cyrusimap.web.cmu.edu/ag.html)?

We're using Cyrus for some 20,000+ accounts, and as the number grows,
we'll certainly consider using Murder too.

Thanks,

Ben
--
Benjamin Tanner