Re: [exim] exim 4 - relay_from_hosts

Autor: Marc Sherman
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] exim 4 - relay_from_hosts
Jeroen van Aart wrote:
> John Robinson wrote:
>> I know people disapprove of the use of port 465, but since it's the only
>> way of getting some MS Outlook versions to do SSL/TLS at all, I consider
>
> What is wrong with port 465? Isn't it the default smtp over ssl port?
>
> grep 465 /etc/services
> ssmtp           465/tcp         smtps           # SMTP over SSL

No, it's not. Your machine appears to be mis-configured.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1835/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00800ca795.html#wp1000937

"Port 465 is reserved for Cisco by the IANA for the URD mechanism so
that no other applications can use this port."

>> it a necessary evil. Blame Microsoft.
>
> Of course blaming that company, even at random, is often a safe bet. ;-)

Apparently it was originally Netscape's fault, actually -- there were
supposedly the ones who first claimed port 465 without a valid IANA
registration. Microsoft is definitely to blame for its continued use in
the wild years (decades?) after Cicso was granted exclusive use of the
port, as Microsoft's popular Outlook and Outlook Express clients have
failed to reliably implement TLS eight years after it was standardized
in RFC 2487.

- Marc