Re: [exim-dev] Autoconf - Please don't

Author: Rafał Bilski
To: Philip Hazel
CC: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] Autoconf - Please don't
>> Sorry to bother You. I have just read that You possibly plan to use
>> autoconf.
>
> Where did you read this? *I* have no plans to use autoconf for Exim (but
> I'm retiring soon). Perhaps you are being misled by the recent change to
> PCRE, which now uses autoconf.

EximWiki * Exim5
Exim 5 Discussion
[...]
Possible use of "autoconf"
"However, it might be helpful to use autoconf to dig out various bits of
information about the operating system."

I know that it is a bit early. But I'm planing to use Exim in future too.
You have very good documentation, very good configuration and Exim is
still small and fast.
In my case autoconf is a pain in the ass. Why do they need to run
int main() { return 0; } if compile is successful? Autoconf works as long
as everything is usuall. Your makefile system is easy to change and easy
to understand. And simple change doesn't require to build 10MB of stupid
tools which don't cross compile. I'm not so good to do required change
manually in most cases.

Best regards
Rafał

Sprawdz
czy Ty i Twoj partner pasujecie do siebie emocjonalnie i seksualnie