Re: [exim] Exim Clarification

Autor: Thomas Hochstein
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Exim Clarification
Telly Williams schrieb:

> My question relates to the purpose(s) of Exim and Procmail. From
> what I've gathered, Procmail handles delivery into your mailbox (or
> mailboxes)

That is correct - it can only do that. procmail is a mail delivery
agent (MDA); one of them

> while Exim is used for sending email (Transfer).

That's right, but that is not all. Exim is a complete mail transfer
agent (MTA), so it can also receive mail. What's more, it is also a
MDA. You don't need procmail with Exim, but you can use it.

There's always more than one way to do it. ;)

> From what I've read about Exim, though, incoming mail to the server
> can be delivered to whatever folder/mailbox you want it to go to
> through the use of Regex, Expansion, and the routers/directors
> configuration.

Yes.

> Assuming what I wrote in the 2nd paragraph shows at least a little
> bit of an understanding of Exim (and its MTA role), why is Procmail
> even needed?

It isn't necessarily.

> It seems like I only need an MUA, MTA, and Fetchmail.

The latter only if you need to download mail that was received by an
MTA elsewhere to your host. Exim is fully capable to receive mail by
itself - if that mail is sent to the host Exim is running on.

-thh