[exim] Exim forwarding to smarthost BCCs envelope-from addre…

Author: Michael Kjorling
To: exim-users
New-Topics: [exim] RESOLVED - Exim forwarding to smarthost BCCs envelope-from address, why?
Subject: [exim] Exim forwarding to smarthost BCCs envelope-from address, why?
I have been trying to figure this out since last night, with no
luck. I am setting up a pretty simple Exim 4.67 installation on my
workstation, to simply queue outgoing mail received locally via
authenticated SMTP and pass the mails on to a designated smarthost. It
works fine, except that the envelope-from address receives a copy of
the outgoing mail as well. On a scale, in my case this ranges from
annoying to unacceptable (and no, this is not about setting up a spam
source). I can't find anything by either googling, going through the
documentation and pouring over the configuration file I have written
from scratch, so am hoping that someone here will be able to offer
some insight.

By looking at the smarthost's mail log, I have confirmed that Exim
indeed does send a copy to the envelope-from address. For a message
with a single listed recipient different from the envelope-from, the
smarthost log shows it as received for two recipients, and I receive a
copy at the envelope-from account which is only mentioned in the
envelope-from and the "From:" header. The smarthost is smart enough to
not deliver outright duplicates, so it is difficult to tell exactly
what happens when recipient == envelope-from. (It's a relatively
high-traffic system on the Internet so enabling settings like SMTP
tracing isn't all that viable an option.) The local Exim mail log
shows the message as received from the envelope-from address (correct)
and then sent to two recipients, "=>" the envelope-from and "->" the
real recipient, both R=smarthost_default T=remote_smtp.

Since I cannot find anything about this on the web site, I am probably
doing something odd, or missing something completely obvious. I did
find instructions for how to set up Exim to send copies of all mail to
a designated address, but have nothing of the sort in my configuration.

I am including the complete configuration file, except for comments
and most blank lines, below. Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong
would be much appreciated.

- --
Michael Kjörling, michael@??? - http://michael.kjorling.com/
* ..... No bird soars too high if he soars with his own wings ..... *
* .... ENCRYPTED email preferred .. OpenPGP key ID: 0xBDE9ADA6 .... *
* ASCII Ribbon Campaign: Against HTML mail, proprietary attachments *

primary_hostname                     = yeono.kjorling.com
domainlist        local_domains      = @
domainlist        relay_to_domains   =
hostlist          localhost          = 127.0.0.1
hostlist          relay_from_hosts   = 127.0.0.1
acl_smtp_rcpt                        = acl_check_rcpt
acl_smtp_data                        = acl_check_data
never_users                          = root
host_lookup                          = *
rfc1413_hosts                        = *
rfc1413_query_timeout                = 2s

begin acl
acl_check_rcpt:
  accept authenticated               = *
         control                     = submission/sender_retain
  deny                       message = relay not permitted
acl_check_data:
  accept

begin routers
system_aliases:
driver = redirect
allow_fail
allow_defer
data = ${lookup{$local_part}lsearch{/etc/mail/aliases}}
smarthost_default:
driver = manualroute
host_find_failed = fail
domains = !+local_domains
transport = remote_smtp
route_list = * varg.kjorling.com
localuser:
driver = accept
check_local_user
local_part_suffix = +*
transport = local_delivery
cannot_route_message = localuser failed

begin transports
remote_smtp:
driver = smtp
local_delivery:
driver = appendfile
directory = /home/$local_part/mail
maildir_format
delivery_date_add
envelope_to_add
return_path_add
mode = 0600

begin retry
*                      refused             F,30m,5m; F,2h,15m
*                      timeout_connect     F,2h,10m; F,6h,30m;     F,28h,1h
*                      *                   F,2h,10m; H,6h,30m,1.2; F,112h,6h

begin rewrite

begin authenticators
PLAIN:
  driver                     = plaintext
  server_set_id              = $auth2
  server_prompts             = :
  server_condition           = ${lookup{$auth2}lsearch{/etc/mail/auth} {${if eq{$value}{$auth3}}} {false}}

# EOF exim.conf