Re: [exim] Exim and Spamassasin

Author: Marc Sherman
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim and Spamassasin
Magnus Holmgren wrote:

> - Reject the spam in the SMTP conversation, but deliver it to the quarantine
> as well (fakereject). This may be an option in the range between "almost
> certainly spam" (i.e. really reject) and "maybe spam" (mark and deliver or
> quarantine). But it may also be completely useless as you get more junk in
> the quarantine while the sender is confused (either the rejection message
> says the mail was quarantine - will it be read or not, and when? - or it
> doesn't mention it - then the sender is surprised when a reply arrives while
> he is trying to resubmit the message.

Thanks, Magnus, I forgot about fakereject. Actually, the most compelling
usecase for this feature is to fakereject all of your high-scoring spam,
but deliver it not to the quarantine, but instead to your spam corpus
archive. That lets you do post-facto analysis on your spam filtering
performance, and makes it easy to determine how new rules or score
changes would impact that performance.

- Marc