Re: [exim] @[] malfunctioning in exim 4.67?

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Marc Haber
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] @[] malfunctioning in exim 4.67?
On Tue, 17 Jul 2007, Marc Haber wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 19:07:29 +0100, Tony Finch <dot@???> wrote:
> >What does Exim say when you do this?
>
> It only sees 127.0.0.1, which brought me to the right direction: I
> have local_interfaces set to 127.0.0.1 on that test system, and exim
> does only seem to honor IP addresses listed in local_interface for @[]
> expansion.
>
> If this is the intended behavior, I now know what is going on. I can
> live with that. Thanks for the pointer.

It is as intended. The manual says:

|local_interfaces|Use: main|Type: string list|Default: see below|

This option controls which network interfaces are used by the daemon
for listening; they are also used to identify the local host when
routing. Chapter 13 contains a full description of this option and the
related options daemon_smtp_ports, extra_local_interfaces,
hosts_treat_as_local, and tls_on_connect_ports.

You might also like to look at:

|extra_local_interfaces|Use: main|Type: string list|Default: unset|

This option defines network interfaces that are to be considered local
when routing, but which are not used for listening by the daemon. See
section 13.8 for details.

I will add a reference to these options to the description of @[].