Re: [exim] dlfunc and license issues

Autor: snowcrash+exim-users
A: Nigel Metheringham
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] dlfunc and license issues
> However, in all licensing issues, lawyers and courts are the final
> arbiters, and anything you get told on the internet is not a good
> substitute.

Generally agreed.

But, personally, I think this is one of the great flaws of the GPL.

After all the crowing about being a well-written, clear license, it is
STILL true that many of today's brightest & most-talented F/OSS
developers (e.g., the 2 of you etc :-) ) are not *really* sure about
its implications ...

Everyone we talk to to is "not completely sure", and remain a bit nervous.

Someone says this is progress !?

** Snort **

My $0.02, the Apache, BSD & PostgreSQL (god love 'em!) licences are
much nicer/simpler to work with -- if only because they are patently
(no pun intended) clear.

I can't tell you the number of times I've wished for Exim to be
otherwise licensed. And, NO, it's NOT cuz we plan to "steal etc etc"
(or whatever the GPL is fighting against) code -- rather, it's simply
cuz we do NOT want to spend minor fortunes on "lawyers and courts"
just to be "a good citizen".

So, "my vote" -- which here or anywhere doesn't amount to a hill of
beans ? please change Exim's license for version 5.

ah, well. back to reality ...