Re: [exim] CSA usefulness

Author: Mike Cardwell
To: Exim Users List
Subject: Re: [exim] CSA usefulness
Renaud Allard wrote:

>> Does anyone here use CSA to reject or score on incoming email? Does
>> anyone know of any large mail providers that actually have CSA SRV
>> records in the DNS? I'm just wondering if it's worth spending time
>> playing with. My gut feeling is there are too few people using it
>> currently for there to be any point, but I just wanted clarification.
> I have also implemented it. I think you can use it to modulate spam
> probability accurately because people that have implemented it did take
> the time to understand it and the records are probably OK. On the other
> hand it will not give you much more than you already have due to the
> very low adoption.

That would appear to be the case yes. With the following config snippet
I added yesterday:

warn condition   = ${if
match{$sender_helo_name}{\N^([-A-Za-z0-9]\.)+[a-zA-Z]+$\N}}
         !verify     = csa
         log_message = MIKETEST: Failed CSA - helo($sender_helo_name)
status($csa_status)

Before the other spam filtering, we got 0 results:

[root@server log]# grep "Failed CSA" mainlog.01
[root@server log]# wc -l mainlog.01
496470 mainlog.01
[root@server log]#