Re: [exim] dlfunc and license issues

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Claudiu Dragalina-Paraipan
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] dlfunc and license issues
On Mon, 16 Jul 2007, Claudiu Dragalina-Paraipan wrote:

> I am developing a commercial content filtering software, and I am
> considering the use of dlfunc feature to integrate it with Exim.
> I would like to know if, in this case, the library used by dlfunc will
> have to be GPL too.

Not only am I not a lawyer, but I have little knowledge of licence
nitty-gritty. However, I believe that if you do not modify Exim and you
do not distribute a modified Exim, something that you make to be used
by, with, or from Exim can be licenced any way you like. After all, Exim
has a "${run" facility, and nobody expects the things that it can run to
be influenced by Exim's licence. As far as I can see, dlfunc is a
similar case.