Re: [pcre-dev] pcre-7.x issue

Author: Craig Silverstein
To: ph10
CC: pcre-dev, angelos
Subject: Re: [pcre-dev] pcre-7.x issue
} However, it is of course the case that the "configure" system does
} check for gcc. I will see if I can figure out how to make use of
} this so that it sets up -fPIC as a default in CFLAGS if and only if
} gcc is in use.

The documentation (info pages) for libtool indicates it handles all
the -fPIC stuff automatically, and correctly. And when I run 'make'
on the pcre trunk (on goobuntu), I see commands like
gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I. -O2 -MT pcre_config.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/pcre_config.Tpo -c pcre_config.c -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/pcre_config.o

So it sure seems like stuff is being compiled with PIC, at least for
me. Are others saying this isn't the case for them?

Maybe the problem is that -fPIC isn't also being passed to the linker
or something like that? I don't know the exact rules for when -fPIC
needs to be passed in.

craig