Re: [exim] Exim Clarification

Góra strony
Autor: Exim Mailing List
Dla: exim-users
Temat: Re: [exim] Exim Clarification
On Thu, Jul 12, 2007 at 04:51:23PM -0600, Telly Williams wrote:
> Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 16:51:23 -0600
> From: Telly Williams <TWilliams001@???>
> Subject: [exim] Exim Clarification
> To: exim-users@???
>
> Hi,
>

>I've recently started reading on Exim (particularly the Philip Hazel
>2001 edition of his book) and I'm just getting a grasp on MUA's, MTA's,
>MDA's, etc.
>
>My question relates to the purpose(s) of Exim and Procmail. From what
>I've gathered, Procmail handles delivery into your mailbox (or
>mailboxes) while Exim is used for sending email (Transfer). From what
>I've read about Exim, though, incoming mail to the server can be
>delivered to whatever folder/mailbox you want it to go to through the
>use of Regex, Expansion, and the routers/directors configuration.
>
>Assuming what I wrote in the 2nd paragraph shows at least a little bit
>of an understanding of Exim (and its MTA role), why is Procmail even
>needed? It seems like I only need an MUA, MTA, and Fetchmail. Am I on
>the right path here? Thanks in advance.

Well, that depends really.

You don't need fetchmail.

Procmail will allow users to put their mail in different folders
depending on various factors.

Maildrop will do the same.

Fetchmail will collect mail from a POP3 server and inject it into your
local SMTP feed.

Getmail will do the same, but not bother with the mail injection. It can
pass it straight to procmail, maildrop or just put it in your maildir.

Steven.
--
Kiss me, Kate, we will be married o' Sunday.
        -- William Shakespeare, "The Taming of the Shrew"