Re: [exim] Yahoo & hotmail, bulk email problem

Autor: Mike Cardwell
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Yahoo & hotmail, bulk email problem
Majid Khan wrote:

> Thanks Phil,
>
> I have changed -all to ~all but it didn't work at all :( .

That wouldn't have an effect in this case. The only place it would have
an effect is where the ISP hasn't set their mail servers up to use SPF
properly. I use -all and have never had the stated problem.

It is infinitely more useful to state "Mail will *only* come from the
following IPs" compared to "Mail will probably only come from the
following IPs but might come from others"

> How can I remove myself from the Spews?. Please help me if any other

thing that I could do to make it work.

You can't. Spews is a dead list and is no longer updated. Hasn't been
since the end of last year. Any mail admin still using their data to try
and attempt to identify spam is *very* out of date.

>> I don't know if Yahoo use Spews cos your IP is listed on Spews Level 1 and 2
>> http://www.completewhois.com/cgi-bin/rbl_lookup.cgi?rbl_includenomatch=ON&query=69.64.70.32&display=

I doubt yahoo are that incompetent.

>> Also, personally, I would use ~all rather than -all in your SPF. Some
>> servers don't handle -all properly. I can't remember exactly why though,
>> although internal relays not being whitelisted at some ISP's seems to ring a bell.
>
>> The other thing is that Gmail, Yahoo, MS etc couldn't run a p!$$up in a
>> brewery and tomorrow your mail will probably be fine, the next day blocked
>> altogether, the next day fine again, etc etc etc.

I dunno about yahoo, but I got around much of hotmail's filtering by
creating a router as follows before the remote_smtp one:

hotmail:
   driver              = dnslookup
   condition           = ${if match_domain{${lookup
dnsdb{>:defer_never,mxh=$domain}{$value}{}}}{*.hotmail.com}{true}{false}}
   transport           = remote_smtp
   headers_remove      = User-Agent
   headers_add         = ${if !def:h_References:{References:
<BAY000-000000000000000000000000000@???>\n}}\
                         ${if !def:h_In-Reply-To:{In-Reply-To:
<BAY000-000000000000000000000000000@???>\n}}
   ignore_target_hosts = 0.0.0.0 : 127.0.0.0/8
   no_more

I notice you're using phpmailer. It wouldn't surprise me if email sent
with headers like the following causes hotmail to consider your email to
be more likely to be spam. It seems to be their style:

If the above router doesn't work for you, change "headers_remove" to be:

headers_remove = User-Agent : X-Mailer

And then let us know if it works.

Mike