Re: [exim] Exim Can Send But Can't Receive

Autor: Exim Mailing List
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Exim Can Send But Can't Receive
On Wed, Jul 11, 2007 at 02:18:29PM -0700, Jason Karuza wrote:
> Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 14:18:29 -0700
> From: Jason Karuza <jasonkaruza@???>
> Subject: [exim] Exim Can Send But Can't Receive
> To: exim-users@???
>
> This is my first time emailing to the list. I have searched around for
> solutions. I apologize if this does not follow any standard procedures.
>
> Here is my configuration:
> Exim4
> Cygwin
> Windows XP
> AT&T DSL (SBC)
>
> For several months I had my mail server working fine. Near the end of last
> week I discovered that Exim was no longer receiving email but could still
> send mail out. I don't recall changing any configuration settings which
> would leads me to believe it is something out of my hands, but I want to try
> to narrow down where the connection is broken and go from there.

Have those nice Windows people turned on a firewall in one of their
updates.

Has your ISP stopped inbound port 25 connections?

Trying to telnet to the MX holder of karuza.com gives nothing.

$ telnet jasonk.hopto.org 25
Trying 69.237.44.33...

> My exim_main.log traditionally would update any time an email received.
> Currently, nothing is being appended to that or any other log when I try to
> send an email to the server. I am hosting a few domains: karuza.com,
> list2text.com, and bhhsdrumline.com which can all still be viewed with
> regards to Apache and HTTP so I don't think it is a domain direction
> problem.

Just port 25 then.

> I spoke with AT&T support chat three times yesterday. They have no
> understanding of mail servers and Exim. They are used to problems with
> Outlook and webmail, so getting them to help is an issue but I am thinking
> it's either something they did without notifying me or somehow services are
> not set up right on my server now.

An ISP that doesn't understand mail servers. Wow.

> I have exim using SMTP on port 25 to send mail. I have inetd set up to
> listen on pop and imap ports as per the tutorial here:
> http://pigtail.net/LRP/exim/exim-cygwin.html

You have Exim listening on port 25 to receive mail. IMAP and POP3 are
irrelevant here.

> echo -e 'Subject: Testr\nOi' | exim Karuza@127.0.0.1,Karuza@localhost

That's a new one for me.

Try:

telnet localhost 25

You should get a line that starts:

220

--
One meets his destiny often on the road he takes to avoid it.