Re: [exim] Bug in DNS resolver or in DNS setup?

Autor: Angel Marin
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Bug in DNS resolver or in DNS setup?
Michael Haardt escribió:
>> I checked the DNS setup, and it looks OK to me (no lame delegation,
>> zones are consistent etc). It is a little uncommon that the reverse
>> zone contains a CNAME for a PTR record, but Exim has no trouble to find
>> out the hostname, so that appears to work.
>>
>> I have no idea why looking up the host fails, though. Any ideas?
>
> I investigated this further and the problem appears to exist with other
> hosts, too, like some kind of temporary error is being ignored.
>
> I extracted all host lookup failures first:
>
> awk '/no IP address found for/{ print $9 }' mainlog
>
> Looking them up, there are quite a few which actually resolve. Most of
> them are caused by zones not being in sync, but a few resolve, all
> servers agree on that and the zone serials are old. Like:
>
> chello062178054035.19.11.vie.surfer.at
> COX-70-183-41-10-static.coxinet.net
>
> Does anybody else see this problem? At this point, I guess it is either
> Exim or BIND.

exim -d+all -bh 83.223.83.9 should give the results of the
gethostbyname2 calls done by exim. But I guess it's just your resolver
not replying fast enough to exim's query so it times out.

awk '/no IP address found for/{ print $9 }' mainlog | xargs -l1 host

Gives all NXDOMAIN results here.

Regards,
--
Angel Marin