Re: [exim] Greylisting - how do you implement?

Autor: Peter Bowyer
A: exim users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Greylisting - how do you implement?
On 08/07/07, Renaud Allard <renaud@???> wrote:

> Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> > Marc Perkel wrote:
> >> I have a reall simple way to do it. And I'm using it on several hundred
> >> domains and it works. Suppose you have 1 MX record. Add 2 more dummies.
> >>
> >> dummy1.example.com 10
> >> real.example.com 20
> >> dummy2.example.com 30
> >>
> >> Gets rid of almost all your bot spam and is far faster and easier than
> >> greylisting.
> >
> > Derrick asks about greylisting. You, effectively, give him advice about
> > making strawberry cheese cake
>
> I don't totally agree. The solution Mark Perkel explained is about the
> same in effect as greylisting but is much more simple to implement.
> The drawbacks of his solution are:
> -you cannot whitelist
> -you cannot control the minimum retry time
> -you must have more than one IP
> The good point is:
> -extremely simple to implement
> -very lightweight

My big worry about this is that you're completely dependent on the
behaviour of the other MTA - you've no logging, nothing to tweak,
can't whitelist, just have to trust that the people sending you wanted
mail are going to do the 'right thing'. That alone has kept me from
trying it.

Peter

--
Peter Bowyer