Re: [exim] timing out messages in the queue

Autor: Ted Cooper
A: 'Exim-users@exim.org'
Assumpte: Re: [exim] timing out messages in the queue
Ron Gorodetzky wrote:
> I found that at least one of the misbehaving messages was hanging on the
> following:
>
> initializing GnuTLS as a client
> generating 512 bit RSA key...
> selecting on subprocess pipes
> selecting on subprocess pipes

> That seemed to do the trick. I'm not entirely sure why the other
> supposed fixes didn't work. I certainly support the use of tls (I use
> it for smtp between client apps when I setup a mail server with
> authentication) so it feels odd turning it off. Is it common practice
> to leave it on for server to server mail exchange? Should I expect a
> lot of rejected mail using this setting?

Your computer ran out of entropy while generating a transaction key. It
will just hang there forever until it gathers enough. If GnuTLS fixed
the problem then I would assume that it installs a cached or looped
device that generates random data without stalling. A /dev/urandom
instead of a /dev/random.

TLS is a negotiated addition to the connection. If you have it turned on
and the other end wants to talk TLS too then it will be used. It
shouldn't cause rejected mails at all and now that you have infinite not
so random but probably good enough randomness, it should no longer block.

You're probably better off putting those other settings back to defaults
unless they prove to be problematic in some other way.

--
The Exim Manual
http://www.exim.org/docs.html