Re: [exim] Limit on number of blacklists used ?

Author: Ted Cooper
To: Exim Users List
Subject: Re: [exim] Limit on number of blacklists used ?
Phil (Medway Hosting) wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Has anyone any idea why the following doesn't work ? It uses a number of public blacklists and 2 zones on a private one (actual private domain names below are changed to ip.bl.domain.example and ip2.bl.domain.example). The problem is that it refuses to lookup on the second of the private lists. The lookups just aren't happening. In the real exim.conf file, the names are correct - no typos.
>
> Is there a limit to the number of rbl's that can be used ?
>
> Also, are all lists looked up on at the same time or are they processed in order please ?
>
> I have been reading the documentation but cannot find any reference to either question, one way or the other.

If there is a limit, I have not found one and I used to use the same
number of lists you do. The lists are queried in order from first to
last until it gets a positive result at which point it finishes up and
returns true.

The docs say..
"As soon as Exim finds an existing DNS record, processing of the list
stops. Thus, multiple entries on the list provide an “or” conjunction."
more details at
http://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch40.html#SECTmorednslists

Is the first RBL always returning a positive result? Is your zone file
for the BL or your DNS not quite right?

Ted.

--
The Exim Manual