[exim] No incoming email

Author: Scott Jones
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] No incoming email
Yesterday morning, I went to my office, checked my email, and wrote up a
letter to mail to 277 of my emailable patients.

I sent out the letter, using a mailing list managed by Mailman and it went
out fine. Several patients noted that they received the email.

Normally I always receive several emails back, saying the recipient is out
of the office, or this or that, but NOTHING came in all morning, and nothing
from anyone else either. I usually will receive 20 to 40 more before lunch.

I tested, sending email out, then calling friends and family, asking did you
receive my email. Yes, they all received what I had sent, and all tried
replying back. None reported any bounced back email, nor did I see any of
their messages in my email account. I use mutt to read my email.

I have exim 4 running. I ran /etc/init.d/exim4 restart as well as rebooting
a couple times, for good measure.

I read tonight in this howto:
http://edseek.com/~jasonb/articles/exim4_courier/exim4.html
but despite reading through I couldn't find any solution. Jason mentions one
item that may hold the clue:

"First, if your host has a static IP address that is not located in your
ISP's dynamic range, you should be able to initiate SMTP connections to
remote sites directly and you do not need to use a smarthost. If such is the
case, select "*internet site; mail is sent and received directly using SMTP*".
For the rest of us, select "*mail sent by smarthost; received via SMTP or
fetchmail*" as your mail configuration. The system mail name should be your
fully qualified domain name. If you have not deployed DNS at your site, you
may opt for using your system's /etc/hosts file to give your host such a
name as demonstrated below. (If you choose the first option and you do not
have DNS configured, you will probably encounter difficulties receiving
email.)"

This last parenthesized sentence makes me wonder.

I am totally reliant upon my email and beg anyone's help in figuring this
out.

Thank You,

Scott