Re: [exim] Detecting the Registrar Barrier

Author: Ted Cooper
To: exim-users @ exim. org
Subject: Re: [exim] Detecting the Registrar Barrier
Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> Ted Cooper wrote:
>> Hmm.. this also doesn't take into account illegal hostnames such as
>> those with bits starting with digits
>
> There's nothing illegal about using numbers to start part of a domain name.
> http://www.888.com/

RFC 1035

The labels must follow the rules for ARPANET host names. They must
start with a letter, end with a letter or digit, and have as interior
characters only letters, digits, and hyphen. There are also some
restrictions on the length. Labels must be 63 characters or less.

//RFC 1035

I've also noticed 1and1.com doesn't fit this bill either. Most programs
should be able to handle labels starting with digits, however since it
is contrary to an active RFC which we as internet users are meant to be
using as a standard, it is obviously not best practice.

Just another example of the rules slipping so much that it's hard to
tell the good from the bad these days.

--
The Exim Manual
http://www.exim.org/docs.html