[exim-dev] Using continuation lines to avoid timeout

Author: Robert Millan
To: exim-dev
Subject: [exim-dev] Using continuation lines to avoid timeout

Hi,

When processing incoming connections, ACLs that take too long to evaluate
are usually a problem, since these tend to trigger a timeout in the sender
and lose the message. In a server with too much load this prevents
interesting setups like running spamassassin during delivery.

However, I have the impression that one could workaround this by having
exim print dummy continuation lines (such as those sent in teergrubing)
untill our check has finished.

I'm not sure if this would work, though, since the response code might not
be determined untill our check has finished. RFC 821 isn't very explicit
about this. Anyone knows if this kind of feature is viable? I could try
to send a patch if so.

--
Robert Millan

My spam trap is honeypot@???. Note: this address is only intended
for spam harvesters. Writing to it will get you added to my black list.