Re: [exim] [exim-dev] Bug: No warning or default for missing…

Author: Peter Bowyer
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] [exim-dev] Bug: No warning or default for missing retry section
On 21/06/07, Jochen Topf <jochen@???> wrote:
> Dropping mails on the floor when they can't be delivered on the first
> try is not "fully functional" in my book.

Then configure your installation not to do that. Other people might
have a different book.

> There might be cases when this
> is what people want (and they can configure their retry section to do
> just that). All I am saying is that this is unusual and unexpected so it
> should not be the default behaviour (or at least merit a warning).

Unexpected.... but entirely consistent with Exim's philosophy - the
absolute minimum functionality is hard-coded in the binary. Defaults
are provided by the default Makefile and the default config file. If
you take out a piece of functionality from the config, then it stops
working. Someone else might come along tomorrow and suggest that Exim
should warn you if you haven't specified a remote smtp transport... or
a local delivery router.... or.. or...

> I wouldn't have brought this up if there hadn't been two people I know
> who independently fell into the same trap and then came to me (their
> local exim "expert") to help them find out why Exim was not retrying
> mails seemingly without any reason. So this is clearly a somewhat
> surprising behaviour.

Then a note in the docs is probably worthwhile.

Peter
--
Peter Bowyer
Email: peter@???