Re: [exim] Relaying denied. Proper authentication required

Author: Mike Cardwell
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Relaying denied. Proper authentication required
Christopher Glanville wrote:
> Can anyone help me, I am trying to setup exim on Fedora core 4 with a smarthost. I installed the basic version from
> # yum install exim*
> and then I added the following smarthost router:
>
> remote_smtp_smarthost:
>         debug_print = "T: remote_smtp_smarthost for $local_part@$domain"
>         driver = manualroute
>         domains = *
>         transport = remote_smtp
>         route_data = "smtp.server.isp.com"

> However I get the following error message:
>
> LOG: MAIN
> ** root@??? R=remote_smtp_smarthost T=remote_smtp: SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<root@???>: host mail.westnet.com [216.187.52.7]: 550 5.7.1 root@???... Relaying denied. Proper authentication required.
> LOG: MAIN
> Frozen (delivery error message)
>
> I added passwd.client to the /etc/exim/ directory and added the following authenticators:
>
> plain_login:
>         driver = plaintext
>         public_name = PLAIN
>         server_prompts = Username:: : Password::
>         server_advertise_condition = ${if eq{$tls_cipher}{}{no}{yes}}
>         server_condition = ${lookup{$1}lsearch{/etc/exim/passwd.client}{${if eq {$value }{$2}{yes}{no}}}}{no}}
>         server_set_id = $1

> cram_md5_login:
>         driver = cram_md5
>         public_name = CRAM-MD5
>         server_advertise_condition = ${if eq{$tls_cipher}{}{no}{yes}}
>         server_secret = ${lookup{$1}lsearch{/etc/exim/passwd.client}{$value}fail}
>         server_set_id = $1

> But I setill get this error.
> Can anyone tell me what I need to do in order to get exim to authenticate with my smarthost
>
> Many thanks de Chris G

First of all you need to update your remote_smtp transport to tell it to
use authentication when connecting to smtp.server.isp.com. Add this:

hosts_require_auth = smtp.server.isp.com

If the smarthost in question supports tls you may also want to add:

hosts_require_tls = smtp.server.isp.com

Also. The way you have your authenticators created is for authentication
when a client connects to *your* server. What you're trying to achieve
is to get exim to use authentication when exim is behaving as a client

Check out http://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch33.html

To get exim using cram auth, you need to update the cram authenticator with:

client_name = theusername
client_secret = thepassword

To get exim using using plaintext auth you need to update the plaintext
authenticator with:

client_sender = ^theusername^thepassword

Hope that helps.

Mike