[exim] Smtp-Authentication problems (using courier-authdaemo…

Author: Andreas Kahl
To: Exim-users
Subject: [exim] Smtp-Authentication problems (using courier-authdaemond on debian etch)
Hello everyone,

I have a exim4.conf saying: (I copy the lines, I suspect to be important)
<<
hostlist relay_from_hosts = localhost
[...]
accept authenticated = *
[...]

begin authenticators

AUTHDAEMON_SOCKET = /var/run/courier/authdaemon/socket

# LOGIN authenticator
login:
  driver = plaintext
  public_name = LOGIN
  server_prompts = Username:: : Password::
  server_condition = ${extract {address}
{${readsocket{AUTHDAEMON_SOCKET} \
    {AUTH ${strlen:exim\nlogin\n$1\n$2\n}\nexim\nlogin\n$1\n$2\n} }}
{yes} fail}
  server_set_id = $1

# PLAIN authenticator
plain:
  driver = plaintext
  public_name = PLAIN
  server_prompts = :
  server_condition = ${extract {address}
{${readsocket{AUTHDAEMON_SOCKET} \
    {AUTH ${strlen:exim\nlogin\n$2\n$3\n}\nexim\nlogin\n$2\n$3\n} }}
{yes} fail}
  server_set_id = $2

The authenticators-section is completely cited here, there are no more
authenticators in my file. I copied the entries from the exim Wiki:
http://www.exim.org/eximwiki/FAQ/Policy_controls/Q0730 (first part, as
I at first want a basic configuration to be running, later I will use
this solely on ssl-connections).

Unfortunately, my Thunderbird (2.0, Mac OS) says 'relay not permitted'
as an error message. I am absolutely sure, I activated SMTP-Auth in
Thunderbird with a correct password.

Can anybody help me?

Regards
Andreas

P.S. Thanks to Peter Bowyer's message, I found the passages saving
passwords in cleartext to MySQL (vexim, table: users) and replaced the
cleartext with a copy of the data stored in the crypt column. I did this
by editing the php sources. But this should not be the problem here as I
can still perfectly log into my IMAP-Accounts on Courier. Only the
SMTP-Auth doesn't work