[exim] best practice for virtual domains/users

Author: Stefan Onken
To: Exim-Users ML
Subject: [exim] best practice for virtual domains/users
Hello,

after reading the mailinglist for quite a while, this is in fact my
first posting:

I would like to setup a new web/email server running Gentoo and
this time I would like to use EXIM instead of qmail which I was
using the last 8 years [1].

On qmail I was using the great vpopmail tools, allowing setting up
easily domains and users [2]. If I understand the exim website
correctly, exim is also supporting the vpopmail files, but vpopmail
requires (at least on gentoo) the qmail package for installation.

Now I thinking about the best way to manage virtual domains and
users with exim: I do not want to use mysql for this purpose,
because the server is also running lots of websites and sometimes I
am working on the mysqld as well and I am concern about the
downtime of the mail service.

So, what is your oppinion how to handle virtual domains/users. Or
should I stay with vpopmail and just ignore the qmail installation
coming with it ?

cu
stonki

[1] I am tired of 1000+1 patches to get a modern behaviour
[2] vadddomain newdomain.com; vadduser newuser@???; DONE

--
www.stonki.de:    the more I see, the more I know.......
www.proftpd.de:   Deutsche ProFTPD Dokumentation