[exim] router/ing problems - I need help

Author: Robert Cates
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] router/ing problems - I need help
Hi all,

I'm running exim 4.54 and below is the router I setup to handle my virtual
domains, and the rest of my routers handling local domains... Following the
routers are my questions.

vdomain_aliases:
driver = redirect
allow_defer
allow_fail
domains = dsearch;/etc/exim/virtual
data =
${expand:${lookup{$local_part}lsearch*@{/etc/exim/virtual/$domain}}}
retry_use_local_part
check_local_user
verify_sender
pipe_transport = address_pipe
file_transport = address_file
directory_transport = maildir_delivery
cannot_route_message = Unknown User
no_more

system_aliases:
driver = redirect
allow_fail
allow_defer
domains = domain1.com
data = ${lookup{$local_part}lsearch{/etc/aliases}}
# user = exim
file_transport = address_file
pipe_transport = address_pipe

userforward:
driver = redirect
check_local_user
file = $home/.forward
no_verify
no_expn
check_ancestor
#
allow_filter
#
directory_transport = spam_delivery
file_transport = address_file
pipe_transport = address_pipe
reply_transport = address_reply

localuser:
driver = accept
domains = +local_domains
check_local_user
verify_sender
transport = maildir_delivery
cannot_route_message = Unknown User

QUESTIONS:

1. Why does vdomain_aliases return 'Unknown User' even though the address
is valid (e.g. robert@???)?

2. Is system_aliases interfering with vdomain_aliases, even though
domain1.com is not a member of my virtual domains (handled by
vdomain_aliases)?

3. My exim log file - mainlog - never shows R=vdomain_aliases or
R=system_aliaes, only R=userforward and R=localuser (and R=dnslookup of
course for remote delivery). Why? I suppose it's because there's no
transport defined.?

4. Why won't the directory_transport work in my vdomain_aliases router?

5. Related to question 4 - is the localuser router required for local mail
delivery, regardless of any previously defined router(s)?

I'm trying to get my answers from the Exim (4) book by Mr. Hazel, which is
packed with a lot of information, but I'm having trouble putting the info to
practicle use, and would appreciate a real user's explanations.

Thank you very much in advance!
Robert

Live Hotmail.