[exim] [Fwd: SMTP Auth / Vpopmail / Dovecot]

Author: Graham Donaldson
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] [Fwd: SMTP Auth / Vpopmail / Dovecot]
Hi Again...
I'm assuming nobody has any experience of doing this, or I'm phrasing my
question wrong?

Best Regards,
Graham.

Subject: SMTP Auth / Vpopmail / Dovecot
From:    "Graham Donaldson" <graham@???>
Date:    Thu, June 7, 2007 11:42 am
To:      exim-users@???

Hi All,
I'm new to this list, and new to exim so excuse me if I'm a little stupid.

I've got an existing qmail setup serving around 8K users on around 200
domains. We use vpopmail for all the user/domain management. I'm
currently planning on building a relay server that I want to run Exim for
a number of reasons. I want my users to be able to use SMTP-AUTH on the
Exim relay, but of course Exim would need to authenticate against my
vpopmail mysql database.

As it happens I'm also in the process of migrating from Courier IMAP to
Dovecot on the qmail setup and in doing so I noticed that it said I can
have Exim's SMTP-AUTH work with Dovecot's auth mechanism. And seeing as
Dovecot supports my vpopmail as an Auth database, I'm making the
presumption I could achieve what I want this way. Or is there another,
better way?

Best Regards,
Graham Donaldson