Re: [exim] Reject messages to users with low UID

Author: Marc Sherman
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Reject messages to users with low UID
Marc Haber wrote:

> Personal stupidity, which is the reason why I asked here.

Don't be so hard on yourself. :)

> This seems to do the trick with only one router, thanks.

Glad it worked.

> How would you handle, in your solution, the case that it is desired to
> have mail for, say, uucp (UID 8) be delivered to the mail store of the
> user uucp? Aliasing it to itself in the system aliases file won't work
> here.

Would this do the trick?

uucp: /var/mail/uucp

> Another argument for having our own alias file for low-uid users is
> that /etc/aliases may be used by different MTAs on Debian systems as
> well, and I'd like to keep its semantics as closely as possible to
> what one expects of an /etc/aliases file on a Unix system.

How am I changing the semantics of /etc/aliases? Local parts that appear
in that file get redirected just like they always have, regardless of
whether or not they happen to be the names of system accounts on the
machine. If anything, you're changing the semantics, not me, because
with your solution, system account names must be put in your new file
instead of in /etc/aliases the way they always have. There exist (or at
least there have existed in the past) some debian packages that append
entries to that file in their maintainer scripts, so those packages may
not behave properly with your proposal.

Anyway, like I said near the end of that bug report, the solution I
proposed works fine for me, and I'm not using the debian config file, so
don't worry about offending me by rejecting the suggestion for your
packaging.

- Marc