Re: [exim] Pine and smtp authentication

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Phil Pennock
A: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [exim] Pine and smtp authentication
On 2007-05-25 at 14:38 -0700, Jeroen van Aart wrote:
> Since I upgraded exim3 to exim4 on debian, a user has a problem where
> pine takes exactly 30 seconds to send an email to our smtp server.

Is this on Exim 4.61 or greater, yet? (Full version numbers are good,
not just assuming we all know which particular release of Exim is in
which of N branches that are currently being maintained by an OS
distributor).

> Meaning it takes 30 seconds before asking for a password, so something
> is timing out. The configuration in exim4 regarding authentication is this:

If you're not yet on Exim 4.61, then this is the default value of
rfc1413_query_timeout; Exim does ident lookups by default. The new
default value is 5 seconds; if you will never send abuse reports or
expect people to trace a complaint, then you can also just disable ident
lookups entirely.

I personally think the new Exim defaults are reasonable for most cases
and you should leave it turned on; if it's failing then someone's being
an idiot with their packet filtering somewhere and preventing the TCP
RST "port is not listening" rejection notice from being delivered. If a
port is closed and can be seen to be closed, Exim does the obvious &
right thing and just continues.

(If it's not rfc1413, then check for working DNS for the connecting IP)

-Phil