Re: [exim] Manual Route

Author: Jonathan Knight
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Manual Route

>> I would like to know how to create a manual route which decides that a
>> certain smtp host points to a certain ip address. For example
>> smtp1.mydomain.org points to 222.333.444.555. Ignoring what could be
>> found through a dns lookup.

You need to make sure that the relay host is also listed in the DNS and
then use the ignore_target_hosts

Here at Keele I have an external gateway system and several internal
systems. To make things work correctly, each domain lists the external
gateway host as their primary MX value so outside email arrives at the
gateway first. The DNS entry for mailgateway.keele.ac.uk resolves to
all the IP numbers of the external gateway systems.

Internally of course I want to ignore the gateways and just send it to
the right host. To do that I have the internal hosts listed as
secondary MX hosts and in my "dnslookup:" driver I have:

dnslookup:
driver = dnslookup
domains = !+local_domains
transport = local_smtp
ignore_target_hosts = 0.0.0.0 : 127.0.0.0/8 : mailgateway.keele.ac.uk
no_more

Because the primary MX records will end up using IP numbers that map
from mailgateway.keele.ac.uk they are effectively ignored and the
secondary MX records are then used by exim instead.

--
   ______    J.Knight@???     Jonathan Knight,
     /                                    Computing Services