Re: [exim] dsearch produces "stat failed"

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Kjetil Torgrim Homme
Para: Peter Thomassen
CC: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [exim] dsearch produces "stat failed"
On Sat, 2007-05-19 at 16:53 +0200, Peter Thomassen wrote:
> Kjetil Torgrim Homme wrote:
> > it is a permission problem, and the cause is probably that the access to
> > the directories is through a secondary group membership. Exim will not
> > run initgroups(3) in some circumstances. how do you launch your daemon?
>
> The access is granted through a secondary group membership, yes. But that
> isn't the problem, it even works with 750 (the Exim user is not the owner).

yes, in the common case, initgroups(3) is run.

> However, what you said seems true for Apache (mod_vhost), inducing some
> headache until I noticed :-)
>
> Exim is launched using the Debian init.d script. What consequences does the
> launching method have?

if you launch it as the exim user rather than as root (e.g. in inetd
mode, or when listening to a high port so root isn't needed),
initgroups(3) isn't run, since it is assumed that the environment is set
up correctly already. at least that's my reading of the code.

--
Kjetil T.