Re: [exim] Consider local_domains only if DNS matches

Author: Peter Thomassen
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Consider local_domains only if DNS matches
Phil Pennock wrote:
>> R: dnslookup_not_yet_hosted for info@???
>> LOG: MAIN
>> remote host address is the local host: sub.example.org (while routing
>> <info@???>)
>> info@??? cannot be resolved at this time:
>> remote host address is the local host
>
> "self = pass" fixes this, letting it continue on.

Of course it helps, thank you. :-)

>> Why isn't that passed on to the local routers? Do I have to set up MX
>> records for *.example.org?
>
> A DNS RR for "*.example.org" will only supply data for those labels
> which don't already have RRs; if you have an A record for
> sub.example.org then "*.example.org MX 10 foo.example.org." won't
> generate an MX response for "sub".
>
> Yes, anything which is a mail domain in a supported email address should
> have MX records. If you're relying on A record fallback, you need "self
> = pass".

Uhm. I actually want to have a standards compliant DNS setup, but setting a
an MX record for each subdomain (I don't know them in advance ...) looks a
bit time-consuming. I hoped it was possible to specify wildcards for both
the A and the MX types. But the day will come when I'll separate mail from
web, and then I've got to fix all that afterwards since I cannot just
change the A record of my MX host. Isn't there another smart way to come
around that?

Peter