Re: [exim] Consider local_domains only if DNS matches

Author: Peter Thomassen
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Consider local_domains only if DNS matches
Phil Pennock wrote:
> In summary: Exim is powerful, Exim 4.67 is more powerful, and I
> recommend this new Router immediately after dnslookup has handled all
> domains other than +local_domains:
>
> not_yet_hosted:
> driver = dnslookup
> domains = ! @mx_any/ignore=<;127.0.0.1;::1
> transport = remote_smtp
> ignore_target_hosts = 0.0.0.0 : 127.0.0.0/8

Phil, great thanks for your detailed answer. I'm going to include this new
router tomorrow. Unfortunately, I do not understand why both the /ignore
clause and ignore_target_hosts are necessary. In my understanding, either
instruction makes Exim ignore 127.0.0.1 DNS records. The latter refers to
the whole subnet.

Now a question if I got it right: If we left out the ignore instructions and
the domain resolved to the loopback address, our new router would come in
and then produce a loop, right?

Then, why isn't 0.0.0.0 in the /ignore clause? Shouldn't the 192.168.x.y IP
range also be added, maybe to both?

Sorry for the trouble I have in mind ;-)

> Oh, I can't remember what happens if you specify a
> given precondition twice; it might be possible to say:
> domains = +local_domains
> domains = ! @mx_any/ignore=<;127.0.0.1;::1
> and have the desired effect. Pass.

I just failed to find some hint in the docs.

Thank you.
Peter