Re: [exim] SSL_Write error 5

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Phil Pennock
To: Marc Perkel
CC: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [exim] SSL_Write error 5
On 2007-05-12 at 10:02 -0700, Marc Perkel wrote:
> I'm seeing a few of these in the log. What does it mean?
>
> SSL_Write error 5

It helps if you get the error message correct, including case, so that
it's easier to find it; I suddenly thought of past indicators of
accuracy and switched to a case-insensitive grep.

That message means that the call to OpenSSL's SSL_write() failed and
that the error code subsequently extracted from OpenSSL was unusual
enough that it wasn't specially handled in the Exim code. Exim reports
what the error code was.

In this case, assuming that the error codes haven't been significantly
changed between whichever version of OpenSSL you have and the version I
have (0.9.8d), error code 5 means SSL_ERROR_SYSCALL, so there was an
underlying system call problem. Exim doesn't go into it any deeper.

You'd need to provide more details, such as context, instead of just
that to know what's going on. I suspect that something is dropping the
TCP connection abruptly without doing a TLS shutdown; but without
knowing the context there's no way to know that; I give it just over
even odds that it is this cause.

-Phil