Re: [exim] mysql and exim configuration

Inizio della pagina
Autore: Magnus Holmgren
To: exim-users
Oggetto: Re: [exim] mysql and exim configuration
On Friday 11 May 2007 08:14, A. Bal wrote:
> 1. I am building a web site and thought exim would be a nice Mail Transfer
> Agent to incorporate. My first thought is that all mail could be stored in
> a database instead of a filesystem. So, I would have exim be configured to
> work with a mysql DB. I have installed exim on Linux.

The relative merits of storing mail in a relational database is a recurring
theme on this and one other list I attend (Dovecot). I think the conclusion
is that it may have benefits w.r.t. organising and indexing mail, but that
the performance of simple maildir storage can't be beaten.

> Now, I don't know if I can do the above. Is there some configuration that
> I can follow that will explain step-by-step what needs to be installed on
> Linux, which libs I need to integrate the two and then exactly which conf
> files need to be configured for the mysql DB. Even sample configuration
> that shows how it is done and is detailed enough.

First and foremost you will need a POP/IMAP (I assume you will provide IMAP
access, otherwise using a RDBMS seems rather pointless) server that can serve
mail from a database, for example DBMail (I don't know how good it is).
Whatever your choice, its documentation should tell you how to setup MySQL
(or PostgreSQL).

As far as Exim is concerned, it simply needs to be able to hand off the mail
to an LDA, either over LMTP or by piping it to a program (DBMail supports
both). Additionally, you'll want to query the database directly so that Exim
can know if an address is valid.

--
Magnus Holmgren        holmgren@???
                       (No Cc of list mail needed, thanks)