Re: [exim] autoreply vacation complexity troubles

Author: Daniel Tiefnig
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] autoreply vacation complexity troubles
Kjetil Torgrim Homme wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-05-08 at 11:02 +0200, Daniel Tiefnig wrote:
>> Since exim-4.50 (or so) this shouldn't make a difference, as
>> lookups (read: more than one lookup) are cached, [...]
>
> I think it's been that way forever, so that's not the motivation for
> it. the reason for this technique is to use a single lookup to get
> *all* information, rather than separate queries for spam threshold,
> vacation message etc. etc.

Hmmm, that's quite the same my FLAG_QUERY does too, allthough there are
some values (like auto reply message text, exim filter, ...) that are
only looked up if and when they are needed. That's why it is important
to me, that more than just one lookup is cached.

> we do it that way since we handle the sending of vacation messages on
> the backend server (ie. where Cyrus runs) to get a single "once"
> database for the user.

Yes, we had the same problem over here, and I wrote a small perl
function that uses a MySQL table to store and retrieve that information.
In the router condition it is used like this:

{eq {${perl{autoreply}{$local_part}{$domain}{$sender_address}}}{yes}}

> the filenames become something like
> "kjetilho=a934fcc3144f081ffd9f0dd1930410d5.db", and the nice thing is
> that if the user changes the text in any way, the once database is
> essentially reset so that recipients will get the new message even if
> they got already a different message a couple of days ago.

Very nice! Never thought about that. I could just remove according
entries from the MySQL table over here. Hmm, I like that, thanks.

lg,
daniel