Re: [exim] Idea: Predefined macros

Author: Marc Perkel
To: Magnus Holmgren
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Idea: Predefined macros

Magnus Holmgren wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 May 2007 15:31, Marc Perkel wrote:
>
>> Hope not to sound to ignorant but what is a macro? Can you give an
>> example of what that would look like?
>>

> Marc, RTFM. Chapter six.

That's what I thought it was. What confuses me is what's a Predefined
macro is then and why we would want it?

I think I see what the controversy is. Because a macro can be any string
then you have to scan every line for every macro. If there is a
performance issue then let me suggest this. Have the ability to set a
compile flag that MACROS have to be UPPERCASE and at least say 6
characters long. That should cut down on the performance problems.

Also, why aren't these macros expanded once at load time and stored in
memory expanded?