[exim] Noobie: configuration for smart host

Author: Haines Brown
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Noobie: configuration for smart host

I installed exim4 on to debian etch. I receive mail, but can't send it.

For example, I used wanderlust to send this message:

From: Haines Brown <brownh@???>
To: XXX@???
Subject: test 24 apr 11:18
Bcc: brownh

Error: SMTP reponse error: 550, "You must be authenticated to use this
server".
I find nothing in /var/log/exim3/mainlog.

I have either misconfigured exim4 to have it relay messages or to
authenticate
itself to sent mail to my ISP's mail server.

Because I have a stand-alone workstation with internet access to my
ISP's smart
host mail server, I chose "Internet site; mail is send and received
driectly using
SMTP"

For my mailname, I used my FQDN (teufel.hartford-hwp.com).

I chose to have SMTP listed to 127.0.0.1. However I see that my Etch
/etc/hosts
has this, and I'm not sure these are compatible:.

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
127.0.1.1 teufel.hartford-hwp.com teufel

For address of smart host I put:

smtp.registeredsite.com:brownh@???:<PW>

This appears in /etc/exim4/passwd.client. Should I have left this
question blank
and simply put the authentication info into passwd.client?

Name to use (/etc/mailname). My FQDN is teufel.hartford-hwp.com, but
for
mail, I want to be seen as simply hartford-hwp.com, and so I enter it
as name
to be used. However, if my ISP's mail server is a smarthost doing a
reverse lookup,
it may do it on my FQDN. How do I know I'm entering the right
mailname?

I test by having root send a message to user on my machine:

# echo "my test" | mail -s "test message" brownh

In ~/Maildir/new: