Re: [exim] Converting SRS to Normal

Author: Peter Bowyer
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Converting SRS to Normal
On 22/04/07, Marc Perkel <marc@???> wrote:

> Peter Bowyer wrote:
> On 22/04/07, Marc Perkel <marc@???> wrote:

> Yep - when I get email forwarded from pobox.com I can't test the domain

for
> whitelisting/blacklisting.

> If the envelope sender is <foo>@pobox.com, then pobox.com is the

sender
> domain. That's the whole purpose of SRS - it lets the forwarder

take
> responsibility for the message.

> I want to process the real sender - not the mangled sender that pobox.com
> uses.

No dice - pobox.com *is* the sender of the message you received..
Unless they inject a header with the original sender in... which is
doubtful. As has already been pointed out, even if you do crack open
the deliberately-opaque token that the forwarder uses for the
envelope-from, you've no guarantee that it maps directly to an orignal
sender.

You need to base any reputation scoring you're doing on pobox.com.

Peter

--
Peter Bowyer
Email: peter@???