Re: [exim] Spoofed email

Author: Alan Hicks
To: David Woodhouse
CC: exim-users, Tommy Phipps
Subject: Re: [exim] Spoofed email
David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-04-15 at 13:12 +0100, Alan Hicks wrote:
>> Tommy Phipps wrote:
>>> Our company is receiving spoofed emails using our domain name along
>> with
>>> many combinations of user names.
>>>
>>> I'm wondering if Exim can be set up to detect these spoofed messages
>> to keep
>>> them from being passed to Exchange.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance for your help.
>>>
>>> Tommy Phipps
>> Yes, I'm using the experimental Sender Policy Framework and it works
>> well for this scenario. I used to get spoofed mail for most of the
>> domains I manage. Now they are stopped when they say who they are
>> sending as.
>
> Yes, but unfortunately SPF blocks _valid_ mail too. But let's not repeat
> that debate again. The facts are obvious enough to anyone who actually
> thinks about it for a while. http://david.woodhou.se/why-not-spf.html

I agree that SPF is not without its issues but for the domains I manage
it is an effective solution that has:
- reduced spam by about 10%;
- reduced the traffic I receive because the mail is rejected before the
body is sent;
- is rejected with a clear reason so anyone who is genuinely trying to
send an email can address the issue through other channels;
- to date, no one has identified any mail that has been incorrectly
blocked to any of the organisations I manage.

For me and the organisations I manage it works well.