Re: [pcre-dev] coff file info and data

Author: Bob Rossi
To: pcre-dev
Subject: Re: [pcre-dev] coff file info and data
On Sat, Apr 14, 2007 at 10:40:49AM -0400, Sheri wrote:
> I don't really care too much if the coff functionality is not made
> available to everyone, though I do not want to have to use the Microsoft
> toolchain myself to get it. Windres is part of the Gnu toolchain. If you
> can provide a makefile.in that allows me to add my own coff file(s),
> I'll be happy. Or if turns out to be easily added when/if
> --alternate-win32-dll-names is done it is something that Windows users
> will appreciate (and would certainly be nice for me if the version
> numbers and strings came from build variables). I know that Philip said
> he did not want 7.1 to remove functionality for Windows users. He also
> didn't want to wait to see how CMake was going to pan out in this
> regard. Since I've discovered that I can use those few extra commands to
> get what I want in 7.1, its really the rest of the Windows user
> community that's affected. So my vote would be, add a configure option
> that creates shared libraries that are functionally compatible with 7.0.
> If easily done, creation and linking of a coff file.
> >> What does everyone think?

Hi Sheri,

This is sort of what I'm thinking is the best alternative as well. That
would provide you with a pcre.dll filename. It could also provide you
with the coff information.

If you want to be completely backwards compatible, we'd have to stop
creating 2 dll's, one for pcre and one for pcreposix. I don't think this
would be as trivial to duplicate.

Does anyone think we should combine pcre.dll and pcreposix.dll on
windows and pcre.so and pcreposix.so on unix?

Thanks,
Bob Rossi