Re: [pcre-dev] coff file info and data

Author: Bob Rossi
To: pcre-dev
Subject: Re: [pcre-dev] coff file info and data
On Tue, Apr 03, 2007 at 09:37:49AM -0400, Sheri wrote:
> Coff file which puts version and license resources info into the dll.
> Currently hard coded to put "7.1 RC3" into the version string.

Hi Sheri,

I took a look at this. So, from what I understand, the old build system
(pcre-7.0) simply made the dll named pcre.dll all the time. There was no
version information embedded in the library. From what I can see, this
is worse than what we have today with pcre-7.1.

The coff and rc files that you are showing in the attachment were never
distributed with pcre previously, correct? These are additions to the
build system that you would like to see in the new version of pcre?
(pcre-7.1)

I have a few comments. It seems that the autotools build system of pcre
should definately be using the libtool version numbers to create the
pcre dll with the name pcre-0.dll. That's how the GNU tool chain seems
to expect the filenames of a dll on mingw/cygwin. Here are two good
articles that explain this,

http://sourceware.org/autobook/autobook/autobook_91.html
http://home.att.net/~perlspinr/build_platforms/cygwin/libversioning.html

I can think of 3 solutions to this problem. Probably others should chime
in here to decide what is best.

- Not provide you with the functionality you are requesting

- Allow either the CMake or a Visual C build system to be put on top of
pcre that would provide this functionality naturally.

- Add a configure option, say, --alternate-win32-dll-names or something,
that would let the build system do everything it does now, and then
run a few extra commands (the ones that you sent in basically).

What does everyone think?

Bob Rossi