[exim] Question about AUTH option in MAIL FROM command

Author: Federico Petronio
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Question about AUTH option in MAIL FROM command
Hello,

I write to you to ask for help in the following subject: I had
configured an Exim MTA under Debian 3.1 to work in mode "mail sent by
smarthost; received via SMTP or fetchmail". I need the server to send
all emails to external domains to a smarthost (which requires AUTH
PLAIN) and the emails to local accounts to be kept in the server.

After some testing I notice that the emails are not delivered to the
smarthost and they bounce with this error:

---

user@domain1
SMTP error from remote mailer after MAIL FROM:<root@domain2> SIZE=1376
AUTH=root@???:
host smtp.domain3 [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]:
554 Sorry, no mailbox here by that name. (#5.1.1)
---

Where user@domain1 is the original recipient, root@???
is the local account that executed the "mail" command to send the email,
and smtp.domain3 is the smarthost.

Is there any way to disable that option and use plain MAIL FROM
commands? What is that option intended to? It's not clear to me why Exim
set "root@???" in the AUTH option event when the
authentication was made with some other username.

Thank you very much in advance for any help.

Regards,
--

                                        Federico Petronio
                                        petrus@???