Re: [exim] Microsoft Exchange Messages

Author: Jason_Meers
To: Tommy Phipps
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Microsoft Exchange Messages
Tommy Phipps wrote:
> We have just installed exim to filter out unwanted spam email and it's doing
> a wonderful job. Our consultant helped us set up the server to archive
> incoming and outgoing messages as well.
>
> We are using the exim server in the dmz and passing acceptable incoming
> messages onto Microsoft Exchange for processing. Likewise Exchange passes
> outgoing messages to exim to be forwarded onto their destination.
>
> We would like to be able to archive internal email (from user to user within
> our domain) messages to the exim server as well but haven't quite figured
> out how to accomplish that with Exchange. I am wondering if there is a way
> to have Exchange replicate all internal messages passing them to the exim
> server for archiving.
>
> Any information on this matter is much appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Tommy Phipps

Exchange "keeps hold" of any messages sent between internal users
without using the SMTP virtual server, delivery is simply done
internally for any domain it thinks that is is responsible for (either
because it has been specifically added as a users e-mail address or set
by a recipient policy)

So unless you can get Exchange to somehow send a copy of the message out
of the system Exim has absolutely no way of getting hold of it.

I can only see 2 ways of doing this and both are a bit scruffy/messy.

1) Setup an external contact in exchange and set each user to forward to
this contact by using the "Exchange" tab for each user in active directory.

2) Find a third party product that can access the Exchange server
"journal". The journal is the official way of doing this for Exchange.

If you can get someone to program this for you you may be interested in
an exchange "SMTP sink" (don't ask, I have no idea how they work)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324021
http://www.codeproject.com/dotnet/DomainMail.asp
http://www.christopherlewis.com/ESA/ExchangeSpamAssassin.htm

Once you find a way to get the messages out of Exchange we on the Exim
list will be able to give you more help, but until then you have and
Exchange problem, not an Exim problem.

These are my suggestions:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/en-us/exchange/default.mspx
http://www.msexchange.org/