[exim] authentication syntax error

Author: aladdin
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] authentication syntax error
This should be a pretty easy question for an experienced exim user:

I don't (at the moment have an encrypted link, so I'm using
auth_advertise_hosts with AUTH LOGIN to only allow authentication from one
host besides the localhost. I have the authentication configuration:

login_server:
driver = plaintext
public_name = LOGIN
server_prompts = "Username:: : Password::"
server_condition = "${if {$auth2}{${extract{1}{:}
{${lookup{$auth1}lsearch{CON\
FDIR/passwd}{$value}{*:*}}}}}{1}{0}}"
server_set_id = $auth1

where I took the original config file server_condition:

server_condition = "${if crypteq{$auth2}{${extract{1}{:}
{${lookup{$auth1}ls\
earch{CONFDIR/passwd}{$value}{*:*}}}}}{1}{0}}"

and just removed the "crypteq". When I try to authenticate with the base 64
encoded values, in the reject log I get:

435 Unable to authenticate at present: condi
tion name expected, but found "{$auth2}{${extra"

It obviously doesn't like what I did with the server_condition. Can someone
out there who understands this syntax tell me what's wrong?

Thanks-
anw