Re: [pcre-dev] A test for the memory mismatch problem

Góra strony
Autor: Bob Rossi
Dla: pcre-dev
Temat: Re: [pcre-dev] A test for the memory mismatch problem
On Mon, Apr 02, 2007 at 04:49:29PM +0100, Philip Hazel wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Apr 2007, Sheri wrote:
>
> > I did it both ways, first with addition of pcre.def file, then with all
> > three def files present in the RC3 dir. Each time started fresh. The end
> > result each way is that pcretest still has all those memory
> > disagreements. So the mere presence of the def files has no effect at
> > all. Make is not using them per my console output (whereas it did in 7.0).
>
> I see that in the 7.0 Makefile.in, we have this:
>
> .libs/@WIN_PREFIX@??? : libpcre.la
>         $(CC) $(CFLAGS) -shared -o $@ \
>         -Wl,--whole-archive .libs/libpcre.a \
>         -Wl,--out-implib,.libs/libpcre.dll.a \
>         -Wl,--output-def,.libs/@WIN_PREFIX@??? \
>         -Wl,--export-all-symbols \
>         -Wl,--no-whole-archive
>         sed -e "s#dlname=''#dlname='../bin/@WIN_PREFIX@???'#" \
>         -e "s#library_names=''#library_names='libpcre.dll.a'#" \
>         < .libs/libpcre.lai > .libs/libpcre.lai.tmp && \
>         mv -f .libs/libpcre.lai.tmp .libs/libpcre.lai
>         sed -e "s#dlname=''#dlname='../bin/@WIN_PREFIX@???'#" \
>         -e "s#library_names=''#library_names='libpcre.dll.a'#" \
>         < libpcre.la > libpcre.la.tmp && \
>         mv -f libpcre.la.tmp libpcre.la

> and I notice stuff like --outpuf-def and --export-all-symbols which
> could be relevant. In 7.1, the Makefile is created dynamically, so I
> can't see what happens on Windows. Could you send me the Makefile that
> you end up with? Maybe some of these flags are getting lost. Maybe
> there's something we can tweak...
>
> > It sounds like it will be awhile yet before the Cmake approach supports
> > shared dlls for Windows. I hope (but never expect) anything new to go
> > smoothly.
>
> Me too. I knew this would be bumpy, but I hope for more smoothness
> later. It was around Christmas when this exercise started - I had hoped
> to get 7.1 out by Easter... getting tight now.
>
> On Mon, 2 Apr 2007, Bob Rossi wrote:
>
> > Just curious, what environment are you in that is causing you all of
> > this trouble? (compiler, shell, ...)
>
> If you can help, Bob (as someone who knows an immeasurable about more
> than I do about Windows), I'd be most grateful!
>
> Folks, I just about have -RC4 ready to go, apart from this problem of
> Sheri's. If we can fix that I think we could go with it as a 7.1 release
> after a short test period, and let Daniel's subsequent upgrades to cmake
> come later. I want to get 7.1 out as there are now some bug fixes in the
> code itself.

Hi,

Yes, I know that I left out the above rules in the new Makefile.am. I
didn't know what they were for, and didn't want to reproduce them. I
know that they were used on mingw and cygwin, but I was able to build on
these platforms without the above rules. I figured they were needed with
an older gcc/binutils.

So, that's why I'm wondering exactly which environment is causing the
problem. Sheri, what compiler,shell, environment are you in?

Thanks,
Bob Rossi