Re: [exim] Exim gets constantly the same mail, sent from our…

Author: Arthur Hagen
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim gets constantly the same mail, sent from ourcustomer (gagabay)
On Mon, 2007-04-02 at 11:27 +0100, Philip Hazel wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Apr 2007, Magnus Holmgren wrote:
>
> > Even if it's not a bug in Exim, I think it's something that could be improved.
> > Exim should be able to check if the sender has gone away before sending the
> > final OK. Not in all cases, but at least in the case described.
>
> We've been here before. If you can find a way to tell that the sender
> has gone away without trying to read from the input file descriptor, it
> would also solve the problem of "delay" hanging around when the other
> end has disappeared. We had a discussion about this about a year ago (?)
> and concluded that it was not possible.

It would be nice if SMTP supported keepalives, but unilaterally
implementing them won't do much good.

However, if (and only if) there's already an auth reply, the server can
send a tap request every now and then. If the reply becomes negative
(or changes), one can safely assume that the sender has gone away.

Regards,
--
*Art