Re: [pcre-dev] A test for the memory mismatch problem

Góra strony
Autor: Philip Hazel
Dla: pcre-dev
Temat: Re: [pcre-dev] A test for the memory mismatch problem
On Mon, 2 Apr 2007, I wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Mar 2007, Sheri wrote:

> > Also, when comparing the .libs dir created by my hodgepodge make vs one
> > from the new make, I see pcre.dll-def (nothing similar in the new style
> > .libs). This is the content of pcre.dll-def (look esp. at pcre_malloc
> > and pcre_free) and this file is utilized in the part of the makefile
> > that produces pcre.dll.
>
> *That* may well be relevant. I see that there is a file called pcre.def
> in the current distribution containing the same as yours except for
> those names beginning with underscore (which should not be generally
> exported). Maybe it isn't getting used properly in the new regime?
>
> Maybe it isn't getting included in the build? I'll check that too.
> More later.

It seems that the file pcre.def, which was included in 7.0
distributions, is not currently in the 7.1 distribution. I wonder if
that is all that is necessary? I see that the configure script does make
some use of it.

Sheri: Please can you try getting a clean 7.1-RCx distribution, copy
into it the file pcre.def from a 7.0 distribution, and see if that does
anything for you. If not, there are also two files called libpcre.def
and libpcreposix.def, though they just contain subsets of what pcre.def
contains, so I'd like the test first just to have pcre.def, please.

The URL wasn't particularly helpful, but I did find

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/28d6s79h.aspx

which talks about .def files. However, I find from there this:

In newer compiler versions, you can export data, functions, classes,
or class member functions from a DLL using the __declspec(dllexport)
keyword. __declspec(dllexport) adds the export directive to the
object file so you do not need to use a .def file.

and I note that pcre.h does have the --declspec magic.

I am learning more about Win32 that I really want do. :-)

Philip

--
Philip Hazel, University of Cambridge Computing Service.