Re: [pcre-dev] Replies to many, again

Inizio della pagina
Autore: Daniel Richard G.
To: pcre-dev
Oggetto: Re: [pcre-dev] Replies to many, again
On Wed, 2007 Mar 28 10:04:41 -0400, Sheri wrote:
> Daniel Richard G. wrote:
>
> > Sheri,
> >
> > So MSYS binaries don't use any DLL libraries of their own? I'd figure there
> > might be ones for e.g. libiconv or libxml2.
>
> There are a couple under the bin directory:
>
> Sheri@xx-xxxxxxxxxx /usr/bin
> $ ls *.dll
> libW11.dll msys-1.0.dll

Heh. So there's precedent for both a "lib" prefix and a version number, but
they don't occur together. Oh well. Thanks for reporting this, at any rate;
I was hoping it would yield something more definite.

> Under mingw, there is also a libs dir but it is full of .a and .o files.
> I believe .a files are static libraries (as a user, I am only familiar
> with .dll libraries - short for dynamic link libraries; when an
> application is linked to an .a file, I think the user of the application
> doesn't see any separate libraries.).

That's right. *.a files are static libraries, which are only needed at
build time. So only developers have to deal with them.

> In the myriad of dll files in the system32 directory under Windows,
> there are no prefixes or version number. Version info is available when
> these dll files are mouse-hovered, and in file properties. That's the
> feature you get when a coff file gets linked in (at least via gcc).

That's the straight Windows convention, of course, but I was curious about
what MSYS specifically was doing (as that at least sort of pretends to be a
POSIX environment).

--Daniel

--
NAME   = Daniel Richard G.       ##  Remember, skunks       _\|/_  meef?
EMAIL1 = skunk@???        ##  don't smell bad---    (/o|o\) /